McKinnon

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Biba

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 1, 2011




Around here we have been passing back and forth some sort of funk...aka:THE PLAGUE and none of us can seem to shake it. This is the first time that McKinnon has ever been sick and he is handling it like a champ...I on the other hand am not...
While feeling like crap I have been thrown into the midst of preschool enrollment season. Who would have thought applying to preschool could be so stressful and how absolutely crazy moms can be (or I can be?). While living in San Francisco - my mommy friends would discuss and stress over where they were going to send their little ones to preschool when their babies were just a few weeks old. I thought they were nuts and a little too Type-A for my taste. Applying for waiting lists while pregnant - crazy, right?!! I was so relieved that I would not have to even think twice about preschool for McKinnon living in Charlotte : Elementary, Middle and High School - Yes, but preschool for my toddler, no way.
Our criteria - a loving, clean, play focused environment (ideally in a Church) close to our house where McKinnon and I can learn to separate from one another for a few hours one or two days a week. Hopefully he will learn a thing or two while I can go to the Dr or Dentist with out a screaming one year old. Sounds simple enough - right?
I have visited 5 schools so far with one more on the list only to find out that I will not be guaranteed a placement at any of them. I am trying to lay the groundwork for the rest of his preschool career and any future children we have
My number one choice - parents literally camped out over night last year for spots on their waiting list. By 4 am there was an actual line! WTF?!?!
My number two choice: they informed me that a security officer will allow all crazy moms to exit our cars and line up only to wait outside until they open the doors to register at 5:30 pm! Who are these women who go to such lengths for preschool? How embarassing to have to run as fast as you can to beat out someone else for the waiting list......
My third school of choice's registration is online (thank you Lord) at 9am....however they told me that only one spot is available and that it would be gone by 9 am and 3 seconds so be ready. WTF?!?! Upon arriving at this particular school - I was greeted by two overly cheery ladies wearing Brooks Brothers sports coats.....ummmmm, ok. Made me rethink wearing jeans and a sweatshirt to PRESCHOOL. They also have a device that scans your license plate as you drive in and displays a picture of your child on the flat screen tv's in the entrance for security purposes. Again - WTF?!?!!

McKinnon - I love you and am packing my sneakers and bottle of wine while I camp out next week for preschool enrollment with the crazies.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh--- ray, that is too funny. You know your mom and I can ALWAYS get your kids into SJPK--- just give us the word :) Love and miss you, Gai

Anonymous said...

Stop swearing. Love,Mom
(and give me the word :) )

Abby said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I agree on SJPK!!!...there was absolutely no physical or cyber line. :-)
Ben's cousin sends her little ones (#5 & 6) to a preschool in Charlotte that's in a church basement. She said that it was ridiculously ghetto and wonderful.
who knew that preschool could be so much work?!?!?

Anonymous said...

C'mon, Ray. If you really love him you will kick, scratch, and FIGHT for a coveted place at one of those preschools. Tie your hair back, put in your mouth piece, and go do the job. Just imagine yourself kid-free for a couple hours a week. Ahhh, now that's worth fighting for.

-Brettles

Anonymous said...

yeah ray, getter done